Geoenvironmental Challenges Coordinator Stands for Election to National Position
Yours truly, Geoenvironmental Challenges Coordinator Mark Abolins, seeks to become the Secretary/Treasurer of the Teacher Education Division of the National Association of Geoscience Teachers. Vote: Voting is open through June 6th.
About NAGT. The National Association of Geoscience Teachers works to raise the quality of and emphasis on teaching the geosciences at all levels. We count among our members K-12 teachers and college and university faculty as well as educators working with the general public through outlets such as museums and science centers. NAGT’s purpose is to foster improvement in the teaching of the Earth sciences at all levels of formal and informal instruction, to emphasize the cultural significance of the Earth sciences, and to disseminate knowledge in this field to the general public.
About the ***NEW*** Teacher Education Division. This NAGT division seeks to improve geoscience teaching by improving teacher content and pedagogical knowledge and by encouraging research on best teaching practices. The Teacher Education Division (TED) exists to provide:
- A forum for exchanging ideas, concerns, resources and information about geoscience teacher education
- A network for full-time and part-time/adjunct faculty to improve geoscience instruction for teachers and teacher education
- A vehicle for making recommendations to the NAGT Council and membership on activities of special interest and benefit to geoscience faculty, staff, administrators and students who work with K-12 teachers
- Curricular and pedagogic strategies that will produce successful geoscience teachers
- Collaboration and support for research in geoscience teacher education
- A focal point for communication and advocacy for teacher education within NAGT and other professional societies